Taxation of Real Estate Flipping

by on July 17, 2012Jason Van Steenwyk

tax and flipping propertiesA lot has been written about the general taxation of real estate investment property. For example, most people understand that rental income is generally taxable at ordinary income rates. And most people understand, at least vaguely, that you get taxed at a lower capital gains rate on real property you hold for at least a year, and that you can defer that gain indefinitely, provided you use a 1031 like-kind exchange when you sell a property.

A great argument for trying your hand at house-flipping, right?

Not so fast.

If you are a professional, full-time flipper, you may not qualify for that capital gains tax treatment.

Why? Because of a little-understood IRS requirement. If you rely substantially on your flipping profits to generate income to live on, then the IRS no longer considers you to be an investor, but a dealer. And as a dealer, you come under different tax rules. Which means almost everything you read about the general tax treatment of residential real estate investment property is wrong.

Dealers vs. Investors

How? Specifically, if you are classified as a dealer, it’s just like running a retail store: The IRS considers your profits to be ordinary income, rather than investment profits. And that means you get taxed on your profits in the current year. You don’t get to defer them indefinitely, by executing 1035 exchange after 1035 exchange.

The key: Internal Revenue Code Section 1221, defining capital assets. According to the statute, a capital asset is real property used in your trade or business.  In a nutshell, if you are making a trade or business out of buying and selling real estate at a profit, and doing so to such an extent that it’s clear that you are a trader rather than an investor, then you will fall under the dealer rules.

The IRS has similar provisions that apply to auto dealers and professional, active stock traders, as well, and for similar reasons: Capital gains tax rates were not designed to apply to retailers – even if you are a retail seller of something very large. Like a house. IRS Publication 544 contains more information (see pages 11 and 12).

Short-Term Capital Gains

For a hard-core flipper, it doesn’t directly affect the tax rate you’d pay. If you hold investment property for less than a year – an eternity to a flipper – then you have to pay the long-term capital gains rate, which is the same as your ordinary marginal income tax bracket. That is, a maximum of 35 percent for the highest earners among us, but more likely 25 to 28 percent for most people. So it’s primarily a wash in that respect.

The major effect on property flippers is that you are disqualified from using a Section 1031 like-kind exchange to defer taxes on that property. Instead, you have to declare any profits from those sales as income that year – even if you buy another property.

Note, too, that if you have real estate profits designated as income at the federal level, that could have state income tax ramifications as well. Make sure you take both state and federal income tax into account during your cash flow projections.

Self-Employment Tax

If the IRS designates you as a real estate dealer, rather than an investor, you get hit with a double whammy: Not only do you lose the option to do a Section 1031 exchange, but you also have to pay self-employment taxes on your profits – a tax hit of up to 13.3 percent as of 2012. That tax is scheduled to increase to 15.3 percent in 2013, unless Congress intervenes to extend the current rate. The self-employment tax comes in addition to the income tax, though self-employment taxes are themselves tax deductible. That’s a far cry from the indefinite capital gains deferral through 1031 like-kind exchanges and the plain vanilla capital gains tax treatment afforded to investors.

Are You a Landlord?

If you invest some of your portfolio to flip, and also own rental property, pay careful attention: If you flip just a couple of properties, and the IRS designates you as a dealer, they will designate you as a dealer across your entire real estate portfolio. This will cost you dearly when you go to sell any of your other properties: You’ll have to pay ordinary income tax on any gains even on properties you’ve held for years.

To avoid the tax sting, consider holding your flipping properties in an entirely separate entity.

For example, you can hold your rental apartments and rental homes in an S-corporation, and collect rental income as a direct pass-through to your individual income tax return. If you buy a couple of properties you’re planning to flip, hold them in a separate S-corporation. If the IRS deems you a dealer, rather than an investor, the negative tax consequences will only apply to the properties within that corporation. In effect, you have shielded your rental portfolio from the undesirable tax effects of your flipping business.

Separating the two practices with entities also has important asset protection benefits – if the corporation gets sued, only properties within that corporation are subject to a judgment, if you conduct yourself properly.

Installment Sales Prohibited

While investors can do installment sales, and only pay taxes on the money as they receive it, a dealer has to pay taxes up front on any income due from an installment sale. This can cause a real cash crunch if a flipper gets caught unawares: You may have a $35,000 tax bill due on capital gains of $100,000, for example, but only be receiving a fraction of that amount in the first year in an installment sale.

To avoid the problem, consider a rent-to-own deal, in which title is transferred at the end of the process, and not at the beginning.

Avoiding an Unwanted Designation as a Dealer

There’s no set-in-stone criteria the IRS uses to designate just who is a dealer and who is a real estate investor. They look at the overall facts and circumstances, and in many cases it comes down to a judgment call. Here are some criteria the IRS may use to assign you dealer status:

  • How many properties do you buy and sell per year?
  • How long do you usually hold the properties?
  • Do you make major capital improvements?
  • Do you obtain favorable zoning law changes while you hold the property?
  • Did you subdivide the property?
  • Do you maintain a “sales office”?
  • Do you maintain a sales staff?
  • Do you collect significant rental income?
  • Is real estate your full-time job? Or do you receive a full-time income doing something else and real estate is clearly a sideline?
  • Are you actively involved in the rehab, renovation and sale of properties you buy?
  • How do you advertise?

If the overall pattern indicates you are a property flipper, then you will be designated a dealer, not an investor, and subject to the same tax rules any other retail seller has to abide by.

That’s not the end of the world. Indeed, there are some advantages to being classified as a dealer, as well. Specifically, any losses get treated as ordinary losses, as opposed to capital losses. Ordinary losses can offset a lot more ordinary income than a capital loss, which is limited to offsetting $3,000 of ordinary income per year. If you’re a dealer, these losses are business losses, and deductible against business income on a schedule C, if you don’t hold the property within a corporation.


The exception to the above rules comes when you hold your properties in a self-directed retirement account. If you do, and you stay within the rules, there is no income tax nor capital gains tax due on anything you do – as long as it stays within your retirement account, which could be a self-directed IRA, Solo 401(k), SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, or even a health savings account! However, if you use leverage within your self-directed account, the account could be liable for unrelated debt income tax. Contact

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Poppi January 19, 2015 at 11:27 am

I am going to do this but I didn’t understand the downside of being a dealer… Am I wrong here,? Is this basically the way it works?:
A dealer, like a ‘retail business’, if an ‘s corp’, you buy a house, repair it, sell it, use some of the ‘profit’ to take out a distribution (for yourself), and buy another to do it again. The houses are inventory, and are not taxed if held during end of fiscal year. All business expenses and improvement costs are deductible from profit, you can fund retirement and health care plans from the s corp as business expense (even travel expenses to and from a buy and flip in a resort area of choice). Taking out a small reasonable salary that is in essence subject to ‘self employment’ tax may be necessary, but the cash distributions are only taxed as bracketed investment dividend income on personal tax return( if state taxes ,then they may vary). If no distributions are made and all capital is rolled back into deals, then there is no ‘profit’ and you could do that forever until the time you would like to cash out and follow an exit strategy.

Is that correct?


Ryan January 24, 2015 at 12:21 am

I would also like to know the answer this above statement please and thank you


Patrick January 31, 2015 at 8:27 am

When you have an S Corp, the owners have to pay income tax on the profit that is “passed through” to the owners, even if there are no distributions.

So, you are correct that the “reasonable salary” is the only portion of S Corp income that is currently subject to employment taxes. But any profit shown on the tax return of the S Corp is subject to income tax for the owner, even if it’s not distributed.

For example, if the S Corp had profit (i.e. gross income minus tax deductible expenses including the owner’s salary) of $100,000, then the owner of the S Corp has to pay income taxes on that $100,000, even if no cash distributions were made and all that profit is rolled back into the business.

The owner of the S Corp will receive a Form K-1 from the S Corp that shows the $100,000 of income (spread perhaps across several categories, like interest, rental income, ordinary income, royalty income, capital gains, etc. which is why you can’t assume that the rate of taxation is going to be the capital gains rate, like you can for qualified dividends that you receive from publicly traded stock).

S Corps can be a great way to save some on taxes, but they are not a way to completely avoid taxes on profits.


Gail August 30, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I believe my ex-husband and associate may have conned my son into helping them flip a property. The associate buys properties below what they are worth and renovates then sells. Well, all I know because I have the paperwork that shows my son as the buyer and seller of property, which was a flipped sale, all completed in one day. I also have a copy of settlement check. My son was told otherwise and they gave him $500. Am I not correct in thinking that my son is responsible for taxes?


Cammie September 5, 2014 at 4:30 am

Yes, your son will be responsible for the the taxes as well as any GRT if he was not represented by a real estate brokerage. I think you may want to involve an attorney


George March 29, 2014 at 12:10 pm

For those asking for clarification (Nik and Pat), please note that the following was said:

There’s no set-in-stone criteria the IRS uses to designate just who is a dealer and who is a real estate investor. They look at the overall facts and circumstances, and in many cases it comes down to a judgment call. Here are some criteria the IRS may use to assign you dealer status:

I understand that it would be nice to have a simple answer like “you are a dealer if you flip 2 houses and not before…or similar, but none is to be had unfortuantely


Nancy March 15, 2014 at 7:02 am

I have several properties in an LLC which are rented and 2 that are land with unfinished buildings on them. ALL of these properties were acquired in foreclosure transactions. I used to lend money for people to fix up and flip properties. When the real estate market tanked a few years ago i ended up with all these properties. The 2 that are not rented were sold this year for a loss. Can I claim these as ordinary loss (assuming they were inventory). I never planned to keep them for appreciation purposes, there was just no market to sell them. The original intent was for me to loan money in order for the property to be flipped. Any advice would be appreciated.


anthony February 20, 2014 at 12:11 am

Hi I bought and sold an investment property in 2013 and im claiming a loss. This was a flip that is held in an LLC. Is this loss get long term capital loss treatment or ordinary income treatment. I have other sources of income from a full time job. Also would it go on the schedule C?


James January 30, 2014 at 10:46 pm

If I buy a Lot, build a home, sell it when it’s completed (a period of about 13 months), and make a profit, does the clock start when the Lot is purchased or when the construction begins, or when I actually move into it? In California, does that mean I’d have to pay the Feds 28% (my tax bracket) plus 13.3 % for the State? Just a little confused as to how best pay the least capital gains on the sale. Thank you!


Nikolas September 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Can you please clarify at what point do you become a dealer and not an investor?….I thought this to be a great question and did not see an answer. Possibly because i’m not the author? Input would be much appreciated.




Pat April 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Can you please clarify at what point do you become a dealer and not an investor?


Linda February 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for the information I inherited my parents home, we fixed it up and sold it. …. Never lived there. Can we treat it has a real estate investment property? If I don’t, we won’t be able to use many of the expenses we had to get the property ready to sell.



Rick Chase October 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I am new to real estate investing and recently purchased rental properties held by 2 separate LLC’s. One of the LLCs is held in a self directed IRA, and the other LLC is not held in an IRA.

My question is not about taxation of the rental income, but rather does the law require the rental properties in either or both of the LLCs to be depreciated, or do I have an option to depreciate the properties or not to do so? And if I have a choice what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you!


Frank January 12, 2014 at 5:07 pm

You can decide to depreciate or not depreciate on your taxes but the IRS requires you to take the depreciation when you sell. What that means is that you should take the depreciation for the duration you hold the property each year on your taxes as the law allows because you will get the tax break each year and when you sell the cumulative depreciation will be used to calculate the tax you owe on the appreciated value of the property.


Leave a Comment

{ 5 trackbacks }